Our Money Matters series looks at people who've built their empires from little or nothing. These people, despite humble beginnings or adversity, have gone on to make millions and help to change the world as we know it.
Perhaps one of the most magnificent rags to riches tales is Oprah Winfrey's. The lady needs little introduction, but to offer you an end of the week boost of inspiration, here are seven amazing things you probably didn't know about Oprah Winfrey...
Featured Image VIA
1. Winfrey was originally named "Orpah" after the Biblical character in the Book of Ruth (this appears on her birth certificate), but people kept on mispronouncing it eventually "Oprah" stuck.
2. Oprah's family was so poor when she was growing up that, as a child, she was picked on at school for wearing dresses made of potato sacks.
3. Not just the 'Queen of Media, Oprah was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Steven Spielberg's The Color Purple.
4. Oprah played a pivotal role in launching Oxygen Media, committed to producing cable programming specifically for women.
5. According to a recent DNA test carried out on PBS, Oprah is at least 8% Native American.
6. Oprah anchored the news at Nashville's WTVF-TV when she was 19-years-old, making her the youngest person, as well as the first African-American woman to hold the position.
7. Winfrey is commonly credited with popularising the type of intimate, topical, confessional talk show that is now aired on TV networks worldwide.
Quite incredible. And now we'll leave you with a famous Oprah Winfrey quote:
Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough.